Norfolk Sweet potato shepherd’s pie
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 Norfolk onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 Large Norfolk carrots, grated or finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh Norfolk thyme leaf
- 500g lean Norfolk beef minced
- 85g red lentil
- 350g Norfolk swede, diced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 750ml beef stock
- 200ml red wine
- 350g Norfolk Saxon potato, diced
- 650g Norfolk sweet potato, diced
- 150g 0% plain probiotic yogurt
- generous grating of nutmeg
- green vegetables to serve with
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then fry the norfolk onions for 6 mins until starting to turn golden. Add the garlic, norfolk carrots and norfolk thyme, and cook for 4 mins more. Stir in the norfolk Beef mince, breaking it up with the spoon. When it has turned brown, add the lentils and norfolk swede with the flour. Cook for 2-3 mins, then gradually add the stock and red wine. Cover and simmer for 35-45 mins.
- Meanwhile, boil all the Norfolk potatoes for 18-22 mins until tender, then drain and mash with the yogurt, nutmeg and black pepper. Spoon the norfolk meat mixture into a 2-litre ovenproof dish, spread or pipe the norfolk potato mixture on top, then grill until the topping starts to brown. (If making ahead, reheat in the oven at 180C/160C fan/gas 4 for 45 mins.) Serve with green vegetables for our Norfolk Veg Box.
Both our Norfolk veg box or our Mixed box with our Norfolk Family Meat Box will make this dish just right.